Work is Struggle

the blog of a catering waitress

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Money, so they say

My first day of work was June 9th. It has been three weeks, and I still haven't been paid. At all. Not one goddamn cent.

That's because my fascist company makes new employees wait two weeks for their first check, and then I had to wait another week for the next pay period to end.

Needless to say, my finances are a wreck. I currently have $51.86 in my bank account. I owe $250 for rent, and $50 for medicine. Not to mention daily expenses like food.

The worst part is, I had to spend money just to get this job. In order to conform to the dress code, I have spent:
  • $26 on black pants
  • $22 on black shoes
  • $62 on comfortable, supportive black shoes because the first pair was killing my feet
  • $18 on laundry. (I have to wash my work clothes every day that I work, because they inevitably get food and/or garbage spilled all over them.)
  • For a total of $128.

    Call me a radical, but I feel that if new employees are required to buy their own uniform, they should be paid after the first two weeks of work.

    Tomorrow is my first paycheck. Too bad it's already spent.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home